Writing/Art Coordinator and Event Planner with Books Beyond Bars
About Books Beyond Bars (BBB):
Books Beyond Bars is a local initiative that that goes into the women’s prison in Burnside to improve access to books, writing, and literature for incarcerated women. BBB believes that the prison system is fundamentally flawed and operates from a prison abolitionist perspective.
- Facilitate creative writer’s circle workshops at the women’s prison in Burnside*
- Design and lay out a zine/booklet (later to be published into a book) with writing, art, and poetry by women in prison in Nova Scotia
- Organize a Prisoner’s Justice Day event on August 10, 2017 about prison abolition and prison justice (in collaboration with the BBB group and other allied organizations)
- If time allows:
- Assist with the library program at the prison*
- Assist with organization of the library (located at Dalhousie Legal Aid Services)
BBB is run entirely by volunteers. The BBB group will support the position as much as possible, but the job requires someone who is comfortable working independently. BBB does not have not have dedicated office space; this position requires someone who can do some work from home or another workspace (e.g. public library).
- Must be a student between the ages of 15-30
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to facilitate creative programming for groups
- Experience organizing events
- Passion for prison justice work
- Creative writing skills an asset but not required
- Graphic design skills an asset, but not required
*You must get clearance from the prison in order to participate in programs at the prison. To be eligible to get clearance you must complete a criminal record check. You may not be eligible for clearance if you have previously been incarcerated. If you cannot get clearance from the prison, you are still eligible for this job and can complete other tasks instead of running programming in the prison.
- Start date: June 12, 2017 (negotiable)
- Duration: Position to be completed by Aug 31, 2017
- Wages/hours: BBB is committed to paying a living wage. Hours are flexible. Total wage available for this position is $3000 (before taxes). Please contact us for more specific information.
- Location: BBB is based in Halifax. Prison programming takes place in Burnside, Dartmouth. Transportation to the prison is available.
Employment equity statement
BBB prioritizes applications from marginalized people who face systemic barriers to employment. We welcome applications from formerly incarcerated people. Applicants are welcome to self-identify in their cover letter, or via follow up email, if preferred, by including the statement “I belong to a group that faces systemic barriers to employment.”
Please apply with a letter of interest and resume (or list of relevant experience and skills) by email to email@example.com by Wednesday May 24th at 5pm.